Come join us for our chapter meeting. We'll have special presentation on
Existing Building Considerations After Surfside Collapse
Victor Cuevas, P.E.
Assistant Bureau Chief, Inspection Bureau, Department of Building & Safety
City of Los Angeles
Susan Dowty, S.E.
Government Relations Manager
International Code Council (ICC)
Kelsey Parolini, S.E.
SEAOSC Immediate Past President 2022-23
Structural Engineers Association of Southern California
. They will be presenting on .<-
This presentation will:
1. Provide an overview of the 2021 building collapse in Surfside, FL.
2. Identify past building failures and corresponding reactions.
3. Identify difference between being proactive rather than reactive as it relates to existing building maintenance.
4. Explain motion authored by Los Angeles County Supervisor Janice Hahn shortly after the June 24, 2021 Surfside Collapse.
5. Explain collaboration between SEAOSC, CALBO, ICC and the County of Los Angeles Public Works in responding to the motion.
6. Present position from the SEAOC paper entitled “SEAOC’s Recommendations Regarding Mandatory Engineering Assessments.”
7. Explore action items and recommendations from the Los Angeles County Department of Public Works report.
Thursday, August 11, 2022
10:30 AM - 1:30 PM
Location: Virtual Meeting via Zoom
Registration is required!
Please register at link below